As I mentioned in my most recent post I'm now getting on with a whole lot of housekeeping issues related to this blog as well as my other blogs.
I am currently in the process of going through all the drafts that I had been working on before I had to put things on the back burner to see what needs to be done to complete them. This can range from:
- Adding photos - which necessitates my hunting through gigabytes of photos to find the ones I need. Although, fortunately I have them filed according to date and location. I have also slowly been adding the appropriate tags to my already vast and growing photo archive. Once I have found the photos I want to use in a post I then need to resize them. I need to do this because I tend to take photos at the highest resolution possible but I cannot use those photos because that will impact on the accessibility of my blog by people whose computers / internet access prevents them from processing such high resolution photos. Having been in that situation I know the impact of high resolution photos and web pages that crash or take ages to load due to limited internet speed or processing power or worse ... eating up a whole months worth or internet megabytes (yes some parts of the world you pay by megabyte not gigabyte). So once I have done that the only thing left other than cropping if necessary is to upload the photo and add the caption.
- Finish writing the post or rewriting the post. That can range from:
- Things as simple as just rereading what has been written and then finishing it off.
- Verifying some information from reputable sources (which I can then include in the references). Sometimes this leads to new information or contradictory information which I then need to sort out and figure out what is based on solid science and what is pseudo-scientific nonsense. Sometimes it leads to controversy or simply to a debate over something ... which while it complicates things and delays completion of the post as it means I need to read more on the subject, it also means that there is an additional element that I can write about or at least mention, depending on how important the controversy or debate is. Something as simple as the reclassification of a plant could end up in a simple paragraph explaining why this happened or if it is the reclassification of a whole genus or family then that might take a bit more. Or if it is over the efficacy of certain properties then that might start getting a bit technical. Sometimes when that happens I turn to some experts I know to read what I wrote to make sure it makes sense and is correct. In which case I acknowledge their assistance.
- Adding all the appropriate tags / labels so that the post appears in web searches as well as so that people can find stuff internally by going to the labels and seeing what s available
- Adding all the references and their web links
- Reformatting the font, text and general presentation of the data so that the whole blog has a uniform look as well as making it easier for people to know exactly where to find information they want in each post.
SOME UPCOMING POSTS
- Propagation of African Violets
- Intriguing Plants: Giant Hogweed, Heracleum mantegazzianum
- Intriguing Plants: Umbrella Liverwort, Marchantia polymorpha
- Intriguing Plants: Strawberries
- Intriguing Plants: Adendium, Desert Rose
- Intriguing Plants: African Violets
- Carnivorous Plants: Sarracenia psittacina
- Carnivorous Plants: Nepenthes
- Carnivorous Plants: Drosera capenis, the Cape sundew
I also am hoping to get a crowdfunding project to publish a volume of poetry entitled: Dragon Waif: A selection of sketches from the other side of my soul.
I'm also planning on a few more photo expeditions to botanical gardens and other sites for material to use in this blog and others.
Flora and Fauna - Plants and Critters Blog by Vincent Albert Vermeulen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://plantsandcritters.blogspot.be/.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://plantsandcritters.blogspot.be/.
My other blogs· Flora and Fauna - Plants and Critters (on plants, animals as well as gardening, conservation and environmental matters): http://plantsandcritters.blogspot.com/
· The Blood of Souls (language, translation and etymology) : http://thebloodofsouls.blogspot.com/
· Whiskers on Kittens (Life with Kittens and Cats in general) : http://whiskersonkittens-vincent.blogspot.com/